😍A quick and simple recipe just suitable for a lock-down drink 😍
Toddy, also known as Palm Wine, is usually prepared from palm sap or palm flower buds tapped in the morning. The freshly tapped sap is usually sweet and is called Neera. This is a non alcoholic drink and is considered very healthy. Neera is produced by cutting the stem and collecting the sap. When Neera is Fermented using sugar and yeast; toddy is prepared.
Toddy / Sur is mainly used as a natural agent to ferment the batter. Which in turns makes the Idlis or appams super soft and tastes much better than the idlis made from yeast.
The process of tapping the sap is extremely tedious. Availability of fresh sap is a concern in urban areas like where I stay. An alternative that can be used in place of the palm sap is the coconut water. We will prepare toddy today using coconuts 🙂
- Fresh Coconut water – 1 litre
- Sugar – 2 to 3 table spoons
- Active dry yeast – 1/4 tea spoon
- Luke warm water – 1 table spoon
Preparation of Toddy
- Mix 1 table spoon of lukewarm water in a cup add, 1/4 tea spoon of yeast and 2 table spoon of sugar. Mix it well and keep this mixture aside covered for 10 minutes
2. Strain coconut water in a glass jar. Using a mud pot would give you better result. Avoid using metal flasks or bottles with small mouth.
3. Add the yeast sugar mix to coconut water and stir
4. Cover the jar with a porous cloth and leave it to ferment for 24 hours in a warm dark place
5. After 24 hrs open the jar; you’ll get the lovely aroma of the toddy. Using a fine strainer, filter the toddy from the yeast left behind
Enjoy the toddy; for those who prefer non alcoholic drinks, make sannas, appams, idlies …
Leave a Reply