a delicious meal made with chicken, potatoes, onions, carrots, peas and optional sweet potatoes
This simple chicken stew recipe is fully loaded with tender chicken and vegetables simmered in a deliciously seasoned broth. If you have other vegetables you love (root vegetables are especially great) add them in!
If you’re using chicken breasts, I would suggest browning the chunks and then adding in the last 20 minutes or so.
Meat & Vegetables
- Chicken breast
- Carrots – diced
- Potatoes – peeled and diced
- Red pepper finely diced
- Green beans or peas
- Celery stalk– diced
- Sweet potatoes peeled and diced
Herbs & other ingredients
- Corn flour
- Salt and Black pepper to taste
- Chicken broth or chicken stock
- Heavy cream
How to prepare the Stew
- Prepare the chicken broth
- Separate the chicken and the broth
- In a larger pot, brown chicken at a high temp. We do not need to cook it thoroughly; Just so as to caramelize it and to get a flavor.
- Saute the onions, carrots, celery and other vegetables in another pan
- Cook until the onion is slightly softened
- Add Salt and Pepper as per your taste
- Mix the sauteed vegetables, Brown’ed chicken, broth with the herbs and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- Remove lid and stir in green beans and cream.
How to thicken the Stew
- In a small vessel combine 2 tablespoons flour and 1 cup water or broth.
- Shake very well and ensure there are no flour lumps formed in the mixture
- Add a little at a time to boiling stew to reach desired thickness.
- Boil the stew for another 10 min or so. Do not cover the pot